Coverity is a nice tool to find problems in C, C++ and Java code using static source code analysis. It can detect a lot of different problems, and is very useful to find memory and locking bugs in the error handling part of the source. The company behind it provide check of free software projects as a community service, and many hundred free software projects are already checked. A few days ago I decided to have a closer look at the Coverity system, and discovered that the gnash and ipmitool projects I am involved with was already registered. But these are fairly big, and I would also like to have a small and easy project to check, and decided to request checking of the chrpath project. It was added to the checker and discovered seven potential defects. Six of these were real, mostly resource "leak" when the program detected an error. Nothing serious, as the resources would be released a fraction of a second later when the program exited because of the error, but it is nice to do it right in case the source of the program some time in the future end up in a library. Having fixed all defects and added a mailing list for the chrpath developers, I decided it was time to publish a new release. These are the release notes:
New in 0.16 released 2014-01-14:
- Fixed all minor bugs discovered by Coverity.
- Updated config.sub and config.guess from the GNU project.
- Mention new project mailing list in the documentation.
You can download the new version 0.16 from alioth. Please let us know via the Alioth project if something is wrong with the new release. The test suite did not discover any old errors, so if you find a new one, please also include a test suite check.